Irrespective of any branding used on the website, the Reed Business Information legal entity that owns or administers the Service, as identified therein, is the primary controller of your personal information provided to, or collected by or for, the Service, and, in any event, you may contact us at the address below.
2. Information We Collect
We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, through the Service’s technologies, and from third party sources. For events this can include collecting your data from registration forms, badge/business card scanners, and other event related apps.
2.1 Data You Provide to Us
The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on how you interact with us and the Service and includes:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, social media handle, postal address and phone number;
- Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords, password hints and similar security information;
- Other account registration and profile information, such as educational and professional background and photo;
- Other account or event registration and profile information, such as educational and professional background and photo, and for events dietary and accessibility requirements;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Comments, feedback and other information you provide to us, including search query data and questions or information you send to customer support; and/or
- Interests and communication preferences, including preferred language.
2.2 Data from Service Use
The Service automatically collects information about how you and your device interact with the Service, including:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, mobile platform and unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data;
- Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp, and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service; and/or
- For location-aware Services, the region, city or town where your device is located in order to provide you with more relevant content for where you are in the world.
2.3 Data from Other Sources
We also may obtain personal information about you from our group companies and from other third parties, including:
- The administrators at the organization with which you are employed or affiliated to activate and manage your access to the organization’s subscription to the Service;
- Social networks when you grant permission to access your data on one or more networks;
- Our service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize the Service to your location;
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities or event sponsorship and hosting; and/or
- Publicly-available sources and data suppliers from which we obtain data to validate or supplement the information we hold.
3. How We Use Your Information
Depending on how you interact with us and the Service and your preferences, we use your personal information to:
- Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the Service;
- Process and fulfil a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction (including to process payments);
- Provide technical, product and other support and to help keep the Service working, safe and secure;
- Enhance and improve the Service and our other products and services and to develop new products, services and benefits;
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments and concerns;
- Notify you about changes, updates or other announcements related to the Service and our other products and services;
- Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, notices and other information related to the Service, your interests and other products, events and services;
- For events: to include your professional details on delegate booklets, badges, passes, place cards, guest lists, seating charts, networking portals, and where applicable for speaker and panel presenter listings;
- Invite you to participate in user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for purposes of research, audit, reporting and other business operations, including determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and evaluating our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement; and/or
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you are an administrator of an organization with a subscription to the Service, we will use your details to communicate with you about your organization’s subscription and related services. If you supply us contact information of your colleagues, we may contact those individuals with communications about the Service that may include reference to you.
4. Sharing of your Information
4.1 Your Organization
If you access the Service through a subscription administered by your organization, your personal information and certain usage data gathered through the Service may be accessed by or shared with the administrators authorised by your organization for the purposes of usage analysis, subscription management and compliance, cost attribution and departmental budgeting.
4.2 Application Licensor
4.3 Our Processors
Depending on the Service provided, we share information with:
- Our affiliates, trading names and divisions within the Reed Business Information group of companies worldwide (for a list, click here) and certain RELX Group companies that provide technology, customer service and other shared services functions; and/or
- Our service providers, suppliers, agents and representatives, including but not limited to, editors, payment processors, customer support, email service providers, IT service providers, mailing houses and shipping agents, venue providers and other onsite event contractors which may include trainers, caterers, security staff, and badge and booklet printers;
4.4 Your Choices
We share your personal information with our group companies and with sponsors, joint venture partners and other third parties, including entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee, application host or publisher, that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you, as determined by your choices and in managing your communications preferences and other settings.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, materials and other content. Any such contributions that you disclose publicly may be collected and used by others, may be indexable by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
4.5 Legal Reasons
We also disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues; and
- protect the rights, property or safety of Reed Business Information, our users, employees and others;
and as part of a corporate transaction, such as a transfer of assets to or an acquisition by or merger with another company.
5. Your Communications Preferences
You can customise and manage your communications preferences and other settings when you register with the Service, by updating your account features and preferences, by using the “opt-out”, unsubscribe mechanism, or other means provided within the communications that you receive. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and if your contact details change, you can alter the details we hold by emailing email@example.com. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
6. Accessing and Updating your Information
The Service may allow registered users to directly access and review their account information and make corrections or updates upon login at any time. Keeping such information up to date is solely the responsibility of the user. Registered users may also close their account directly through the Service or by contacting the Service’s customer support.
7. Data Retention
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfill the transactions you have requested, and for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, and enforcing our agreements.
8. Children’s Privacy
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 or target the Service to children under 13.
9. Data Security
We use a variety of administrative, physical and technical security measures to help safeguard your personal information.
10. Locations of Processing
Your personal information may be stored and processed in your region or another country where Reed Business Information group companies and our service providers maintain servers and facilities, including Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States. We take steps, including through our contracts, to ensure that the information continues to be protected wherever it is located in a manner consistent with the standards of protection required under applicable law.
Where personal information is transferred from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland to a country that has not received an adequacy decision by the European Commission, we rely on appropriate safeguards, such as the European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks, to transfer the data.
Accuity Inc. and FlightStats Inc have certified certain of their services to the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Please view the Accuity Privacy Shield Notice here and the FlightStats Privacy Shield Notice here. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view these entities’ certification, please visit www.privacyshield.gov.
11. Grounds for Processing
When we collect from you any personal information within the scope of European data protection laws, we do so (a) with your consent; (b) where necessary to provide the Service, fulfill a transaction or otherwise perform a contract with you or at your request prior to entering into a contract; (c) where necessary for our compliance with a legal obligation; (d) where necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest; and/or (e) as necessary to fulfill our legitimate interests as described below, except where our interests are overridden by your privacy rights. Where we rely on your consent to process personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object.
Our legitimate interests are: to deliver our products to our customers and their end users; to detect or prevent fraud; to protect the security of our systems, customers and users; to further develop our products; to conduct direct marketing; to operate our business (by processing payments/invoices and conduct credit checks on customers, suppliers and leads, perform sales and customer relations management, supplier management, as well as incidental processing in our back office for these purposes); to enable our customers to comply with legal obligations; to provide customer service or support; or fulfil our other legitimate interests as described above.
12. Your rights
You have the right under European and certain other privacy and data protection laws to request free of charge:
- access to and correction or deletion of your personal information,
- that we cease or limit our processing of your personal information,
- a copy of your personal information (right to data portability), and to
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at the address set out below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity.
14. Contact us
Data Protection Officer,
Reed Business Information Limited,
Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS,
15. How to complain
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information but you may also lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in the applicable jurisdiction.
Last updated: 27 June 2018