RELX Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Our people are our strength. Our workforce of over 30,000 people has an average length of service of 9.2 years.
Our people team is responsible for recruiting talented individuals and helping them develop in their role. We provide innovative learning and development opportunities for our employees and work with them to create an inclusive culture that enables a high-performing and engaged workforce.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At RELX we are passionate about making a positive impact on society and customers through our unique contributions as a business including access to information, advance of science and health, protection of society, promotion of the rule of law and access to justice, and fostering communities.
We are fully committed to creating a fair and equitable work environment for our people and in all the countries and territories in which we operate we seek to comply with local employment and equality laws.
We want RELX to be a great place to work, where our employees feel valued, have equal opportunities and benefit from pay equality, regardless of their gender, gender identity, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Diversity and inclusion (D&I) are important to our future. We need the engagement of people from a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and ideas to achieve real innovation for our customers around the world.
Our D&I vision, set out above, articulates our commitment to a diverse workforce and an environment that respects individuals and their contributions. Our D&I strategy is focused on translating the vision into practical action. Among its commitments is maintaining a D&I Advisory Group composed of a senior business and HR leader from each business, supported by a broader D&I Working Group.
We also have more than 40 Employee Resource Groups across the business, such as women’s forums and pride groups, to facilitate support, mentoring and community involvement. In 2018 we held our first-ever Diversity Awareness Month with a competition open to all employees in order to showcase commitment to D&I across RELX and a video with testimonials from senior leaders on why D&I matters to them.
Our workforce is 51% female and 49% male. There are 42% female and 58% male managers, and 28% female and 72% male senior operational managers. Women make up 36% of the members of the RELX Boards.
We remain committed to promoting and enabling equal opportunity, regardless of gender, at every level in our organisation.
To enable parity across all levels, we have undertaken several initiatives.
Recent examples of progress include:
- A mentoring programme for women in senior roles across RELX, which Kumsal Bayazit, CEO of Elsevier, Gunjan Aggarwal, Chief Human Resources Officer at RELX and Nick Luff, RELX Group’s CFO, co-sponsor
- RELX is now listed in the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index as of January 2019
- A broader roll-out of our Women In Technology mentoring programme across RELX
- Best practices in candidate assessment to prevent unconscious bias in recruiting processes
- Reviewing people policies to ensure fair workplace practices
- Adoption of responsible marketing practices, with a positive portrayal of gender
- Community focus on and investment in gender equality in STEM
- Global celebration of International Women’s Day on 8 March across RELX
Our D&I initiatives across the Group encompass our employees, our customers and our broader community:
- Elsevier has attained the first level of the EDGE gender equality certification, which involved employee surveys across eight countries and an external review of policies and procedures. An EDGE focus area is flexible working and in 2018, Elsevier published FlexWorx, its global guidelines in support of flexible working
- For the first time, Risk & Business Analytics along with colleagues from Reed Exhibitions and RELX participated in their first-ever London Pride Parade. We now have Pride groups in the UK, the Netherlands, the US, Germany, the Philippines and India
- LexisNexis UK participated in the Change100 programme, hosting four interns with disabilities, and became a signatory to the UK’s Disability Confident scheme
- RELX celebrated its first global Diversity Awareness Month in October 2018
- Reed Exhibitions launched Proud Experiences, its first exhibition focused on LGBT travel and tourism internationally
- RELX is a signatory to the Women’s Empowerment Principles, a UNGC and UN Women initiative to help companies empower women and promote gender equality
- In 2018 RELX placed in the top 100 in Equileap’s Ranking, an assessment of more than 3,000 companies against 19 commitments, including gender balance in the workplace, equal compensation, work-life balance, policies promoting gender equality and commitment to women’s empowerment
- We invest in research to identify causes of pay differences and regularly evaluate our policies and processes to ensure they are aligned to our D&I vision. We commit to building a robust framework for monitoring pay equity across RELX. In 2018, we made these pledges to the Equal Pay International Coalition during UN General Assembly week in New York.
PAY PHILOSOPHY AND PARITY
Our reward philosophy aims to support the company’s ability to attract, motivate and retain high performing employees. Our reward principles are underpinned by external equity, internal equity and pay for performance.
We follow rigorous internal processes of one over one approvals and carry out internal audits to ensure pay parity for employees doing the same or similar work in a geography. Additionally, we have a whistle-blower process via an internal hotline to ensure that any issue can be reported without prejudice.
RELX serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. We are committed to following all local employee legislation, regulations and laws.
We conduct regular surveys to gather employee feedback. In 2018, we conducted a global employee opinion survey, with 90% participation, to hear from employees about how we are doing to make RELX an even better place to work.
HEALTH AND WELLBEING
Our employees have the right to a healthy and safe workplace, as outlined in our Global Health and Safety Policy. While we comply with all employee-related reporting requirements, we are also committed to promoting workplace well-being of our employees. In the US, where we have the largest presence of employees, the CareConnect and REACH programmes promote workplace well-being through health screenings and various health awareness programmes and incentives.
Our Fit2Win global well-being competition encourages employees to establish fitness teams to compete for cash prizes for charities of their choice.
Dedicated health and wellbeing programmes are now available to more than 70% of our employees. We also maintain a network of more than 90 Wellness Champions.